EVENTS AND NETWORKING
Whether you are looking for training, networking, briefings on topical issues, or want to entertain clients, we have an event for you and your business. Many events are exclusive to members, many are free to members or are offered at significantly discounted rates, and all include the opportunity for networking.
- This event has passed.
Legal Aspects Of International Trade
INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL CONTRACTS &
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SALE
Companies often overlook the importance of having solid contracts that look after the needs of both the seller and the buyer. Having consulted many companies globally on international trade risk, I have found the weakest link to be the “contract”, and often this is often over looked, THUS resulting in costly mistakes made by companies.
This one-day workshop will provide you with the most current ruling, an understanding of international and local legal requirements and what you need to put into place to ensure that every contract entered will provide the necessary legal protection.
Understanding the importance of having terms and conditions of sale, that talk to both local and international sales is essential for any company involved in any aspect of international trade.
Linda Holtes is the Master Trainer for the International Chamber of Commerce for Incoterms ® 2010.
10 MAY 2019 – RCCI OFFICES
08h30: Registration and Coffee
09h00: Knowing the various international organisations that make-up rules for international transactions including:
- The United Nations
- The UN Convention on Contracts for International Sale of Goods – CISG
- The International Trade Centre – a division of the UN and model contracts
- The International Chamber of Commerce – Model contracts
Understanding the importance of contracts of sale, which is considered a binding law in every international sales transaction and this includes:
- The Proforma invoice, how to ensure compliancy both locally and internationally
- The Purchase order, what must be stated in this to ensure that the needs of the importer are considered with every import order
- Who should be creating these contracts within an organisation?
When appointing a distributor or a commercial agent and the risks relating to each:
- Appointing a distributor, the risks and or benefits
- Appointing a commercial agent, the risks and or benefits
- Dispute resolution; (breaches of contract)
- Arbitration what is involved
- Applicable law and applicable forum
- The European Commission directive on commercial agents
13h30: Terms and conditions of sale
Understanding what must be in all terms and conditions of sale to include international transactions
- 7 Elements of an enforceable contract
- Notarized contracts
- Can you write your own contracts?
- Terms and conditions of sale – local vs international contracts
15h00: Check list for drawing up legal contracts
- Distributorship & Agency agreements
- Proforma invoices
- Purchase orders
- Terms and conditions of sale
In this final session, the presenter will offer a step-by-step guide to completing your own Checklist for your organization.
Linda Bird-Duxbury is the Master Trainer for the International Chamber of Commerce on the Incoterms ® 2010 rules.
She has worked extensively in Africa, Central America, Asia and Europe and has been consulting to companies, government agencies and the United Nations on all aspects of international trade for over 38 years.
Linda is an accredited facilitator and assessor and with the United Nations as an international trade specialist. She has developed training courses for both Government and the private sector both locally and internationally and has numerous publications to her name. Linda is also a board member of SACCI – the South African Chamber of Commerce, this organisation is directly affiliated to the ICC – who make up all the rules for international trade.
Over the years Linda Bird-Duxbury has come to be regarded as the South African expert on all aspects of international trade, education and training.
The cost for the day R1840.00 + VAT per delegate includes all refreshments
INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND CHAMBER CONSULTANTS
10th May 2019 @ 8:30 am – 5:00 pm