PRESS RESPONSE: UPDATE ON THE PETITION SUBMITTED FOR TRAFFIC CALMING (SPEED CAMERA) ON CONRAD DRIVE, BLAIRGOWRIE.
Following the submission of a petition by the residents of Blairgowrie for the City to investigate the installation of a permanent speed camera on Conrad Drive, Blairgowrie the City and JMPD has responded rather swiftly with the following intervention:
- Manual speed enforcement along Conrad Drive at various points. Over a 3 week period, 213 drivers were prosecuted for speeding.
Facts about Conrad Drive, Blairgowrie:
- The road falls into Ward 99 (Councillor Bruce Herbert) and Ward 102 (Councillor David Potter)
- It is a steep dual carriage way and carries a 60kmh speed limit
- For the period April 2013 to October 2014 a total number of 132 accidents were reported
o 87% no injury
o 8% slight injury
o 4% serious injury
o 1% fatality
- The accidents happened at the following times
o 21% am peak 6am to 9am
o 46% between 9am and 4pm
o 25% between pm peak 4pm and 7pm
In a report for submission before the Petitions Committee the JMPD proposes the following:
- Continue to conduct manual speed enforcement twice weekly
- “Flashers” who warn oncoming motorists of the enforcement ahead will be addressed as ultimately they are defeating the ends of justice.
- Only one 60 kilometer speed limit sign exists along the route. JRA will be requested to install further signage to warn motorists to slow down. This will increase driver awareness of speed enforcement along the route.
- JMPD will soon, have a 2 day operation that increases visibility related to speed and drunken driving etc.
Further to the above, ultimately a permanent speed camera is required. The implementation of this has 2 issues (1) the huge cost and (2) it needs approval from an external Government body. The lead petitioner and Councillor will continue to pressure the City to fulfil the ultimate request to have a permanent speed camera installed in the interests of road safety along Conrad Drive, Blairgowrie.
Councillor David Potter
DA Ward Councillor, Ward 102